Thursday, February 7, 2013

Check out this Mead



I first discovered mead about four months ago. I was at King Richard's Faire, a renaissance fair out of Carver, MA, where I was granted the opportunity to try a taste of mead.  It was delicious! I have enjoyed the taste of Honey for a long time but now to hold it in my hands in the form of an Adult Beverage brought honey to a completely new level for me. I started researching mead shortly after my visit to the fair and learned that it is a rather simple delicacy, which can easily be produced in the comforts of my or your home. Mead is a fermented beverage like beer or wine but more closely related to wine due to a lack of carbonation. To make mead you only need these simple items: twelve to eighteen pounds of honey (preferably pure, raw honey), a five-gallon Carboy (glass jug, which will run you around $35), yeast, water and an airlock (Which goes for around $1.25). That much honey can be purchased for around fifty dollars; if this all seems too expensive, the recipe can be scaled down to a one-gallon batch. Here is an example of a one-gallon recipe:
Orange clove mead
  • 1 gallon of Spring Water
  • Yeast: Fleishcmanns (1 packet)
  • 25 Raisins
  • 1 Cinnamon stick
  • 1 whole orange, sliced and peels included
  • 1 pinch of allspice
  • 1 pinch of nutmeg
  • 3 1/2 pounds of clover honey
  • 1 whole clove
  Here is an example of a brewing one-gallon batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment