I have
started producing my own mead and currently have 3 batches of mead fermenting
and aging along. The first batch I made I used eighteen pounds of Berkley &
Jensen Honey, four whole Oranges, five sticks of Cinnamon, and one hundred
Raisins. I started this batch on November 14th, 2012 and after 24
hours my mead began bubbling.
The bubbling
occurs because the yeast contained within the carboy (jug) has started to break
down and consume the sugars in the honey, as this fermenting process ensues
gases are released and travel out of the carboy through the airlock. If the Carboy
of mead were capped off completely it would slowly pressurize and the glass jug
would shatter, mead would go everywhere and it would be a horrible mess.
Additionally the mead must be vented because if the mead is left un-capped at
all the air will mix with the mead and will spoil the flavor.
After three
weeks, I racked the mead. Racking is the process of transferring the liquid
from the carboy it is currently fermenting into a fresh, clean, carboy. The reason
this is done is that as the yeast slowly eats the sugars it also slowly dies
and begins to settle on the bottom of the jug. Racking allows you to leave the
dead yeast behind so the sweet flavors of honey can be preserved and not
destroyed by having dead yeast floating around in your glass. Yuck!
No comments:
Post a Comment