Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thoughts on Social Media



      I have been interacting on social networking sites for over eight years now.  While some people praise the abilities granted to you, others despise the very existence of Facebook and anything that looks like it. I can appreciate a person's desire to retain their privacy and anonymity, especially in the growing age of "Big Brother". Personally, I always seem to be the last of my friends to join any of these social networking sites but no matter how long I withhold, I inevitably find myself on the same sites as everyone else. Like a sad sheep I have joined these networks, unable to resist, they tend to consume my time and energy faster than any hobby of mine. Without requiring physical activity, I find that these sites tend to make me lazy, and often lead me to procrastinate even when I know I should not.
      There are many benefits to social networking sites and the internet's ability to connect us, but I believe that it is important to keep our activity on them in moderation. I have met people you spend hours on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram; I have even seen my co-workers use these sites while on the job, and friends use them while inside on a beautiful day. It saddens me a little to know that I myself have committed offense of this nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment